- 6 pounds tomatoes (about 12 large)
- 9 dried hot chilies, seeds removed
- 15 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups diced red onion
- 6 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro, packed tightly
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar, 5% acidity
Prepare Ball® or Kerr® jars and closures according to instructions found in Canning Basics.
Peel, seed and dice tomatoes into 1/4-inch size pieces. Place chilies in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over chilies just to cover. Secure plastic wrap over bowl and allow peppers to steep for
15 minutes. Drain half the water from chilies. Purée chilies and remaining water in blender for 1 minute or until smooth. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Carefully ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a Ball® Bubble FREER™ or a nonmetallic spatula.
Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met – fingertip tight.
Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. The salsa recipe is ready to serve...enjoy it !